EPO allows the taking of evidence by VICO
At its virtual meeting on 15 December 2020, the Administrative Council decided to amend Rules 117 and 118 EPC to allow evidence to be taken by videoconference (VICO) in proceedings before the European Patent Office (EPO). The amendment will take effect as of 1 January 2021 and will mean that evidence can be taken this way regardless of whether the oral proceedings are held by VICO or on the EPO premises.
- Decision of the Administrative Council CA/D 12/20 dated 15 December 2020
- Notice from the European Patent Office dated 17 December 2020 concerning the taking of evidence by videoconference by examining and opposition divisions
- Oral proceedings before examining and opposition divisions
- Opposition hearings by VICO – changes in 2021
- Instructions for witnesses giving evidence by videoconference (PDF, 137 KB)
- FAQ - Oral proceedings held by videoconference