Applications received for the post of EPO President
The time limit for receipt of applications for the post of President of the European Patent Office expired on 15 September 2009. The procedure will now continue with the applications from the four qualified candidates for the position, which falls vacant on 1 July 2010.
In alphabetical order, the four qualified candidates are:
- Ms Susanne ǺS SIVBORG (Sweden), Director General of the Swedish Patent and Registration Office
- Mr Benoît BATTISTELLI (France), Director General of the Institut National de la Propriété Industrielle
- Mr Roland GROSSENBACHER (Switzerland), Director of the Eidgenössisches Institut für Geistiges Eigentum
- Mr Jesper KONGSTAD (Denmark), Director General of the Danish Patent and Trademark Office
The appointment procedure is governed by the European Patent Convention (EPC). The President is appointed by representatives of the member states of the European Patent Organisation meeting in the Administrative Council (under Article 11(1) EPC) by a majority of three-quarters of the votes cast (Article 35(2) EPC). The term of office is five years, and it may be renewed.
At its meeting in October 2009 the Administrative Council will hear the qualified candidates individually before deliberating and voting on the appointment.
The term of office of the current EPO President, Alison Brimelow (United Kingdom), ends on 30 June 2010.
- About us: European Patent Organisation