The European Patent Convention
16th edition / June 2016
The 16th edition of the European Patent Convention (published June 2016) is available. It contains:
- the Convention on the Grant of European Patents (EPC) as in
13 December 2007
- the EPC Implementing Regulations as in force since 1May
2016 but also including an amendment that entered into force on
1 November 2016
- the rules of procedure of the EPO boards of appeal and Enlarged Board of Appeal, included for the first time in an edition of the EPC
- the protocols forming integral parts of the EPC (Protocol on the Interpretation of Article 69 EPC, Protocol on Centralisation, Protocol on Recognition, Protocol on Privileges and Immunities, Protocol on the Staff Complement)
- an extract from the EPC Revision Act of 29 November 2000
- the Administrative Council's decision of 28 June 2001 on the transitional provisions under Article 7 of the Revision Act
- the Rules relating to Fees.
It also contains an index of decisions and opinions of the Enlarged Board of Appeal published in the EPO's Official Journal (Annex I), a list cross-referencing the EPC 2000 provisions with their EPC 1973 equivalents (Annex II) and an alphabetical keyword index.
Available formats and amendments
Only the HTML version of the EPC is regularly updated and shows all texts as currently in force, i.e. with any amendments (e.g. to the Implementing Regulations) included as from their entry into force.
- Optimised for online use, it contains embedded links to cross-referenced EPC provisions and any Official Journal items published from 2014 onwards.
- The "version history" function can be used to find about any earlier versions of a provision and any related transitional rules.
- What has changed in the HTML version since adoption of the version published in the 16th print edition (June 2016) and available in the PDF file can be displayed by checking the "show modifications" box on the upper right-hand side.
To facilitate searching offline and printing, selected instruments are available as amended since the print edition for download in PDF format: European Patent Convention (EPC), Implementing Regulations and Rules relating to Fees.
The PDF file contains the latest print edition of the EPC (currently the 16th, published in June 2016) and so does not reflect any amendments adopted by the Administrative Council since its publication. However, all such amendments are listed at the start.
This is the best version to use for browsing the entire text (EPC, plus protocols, etc.) offline and for full-text searching.