Euro-PCT Guide: PCT procedure at the EPO
12th edition, January 2019
This guide for applicants is aimed at those interested in pursuing the procedure under the PCT and focuses on elements specific to the PCT procedure before the EPO. It is referred to as the "Euro-PCT Guide" to distinguish it from the PCT Applicant's Guide published by WIPO ("WIPO PCT Guide").
Several changes have been made to the latest edition of the Guide besides the yearly update of the information:
- The annexes have been replaced by screenshots in the text of the Guide in order to better reflect the fact that most applicants file electronically and not on paper nowadays.
- The numbering system has been modified in order to provide a better structure.
- The layout has been revised.
Euro-PCT Guide is of a summary nature. It gives an overview of the procedures
under the PCT before the EPO, including entry into the European phase before
the EPO as designated/elected Office. The information it provides is not to be
considered complete, nor is it intended to replace relevant WIPO publications
and EPO decisions and notices concerning specific issues.
The Euro-PCT Guide is based on the information available on 1 January 2019. Any changes to the PCT procedures before the EPO after that date are not reflected in the information provided here. Therefore, in using this Guide, applicants should always verify in particular whether any relevant changes to the procedures have entered into force since 1 January 2019.
Although the information in the Guide is not exhaustive, it aims to cover all the points to note when the EPO acts in its capacity as:
- a receiving Office (RO),
- an International Searching Authority (ISA),
- a Supplementary International Searching Authority (SISA),
- an International Preliminary Examining Authority (IPEA), and/or
- a designated or elected Office.
Any comments on the Euro-PCT Guide may be addressed by email to Department 184.108.40.206, PCT Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The PDF file reflects the printed edition of the Euro-PCT Guide and is based on the information available on 1 January 2019.
While the HTML version is optimised for online use, the PDF version offers the best solution for offline browsing, including full-text search functionality.
A printed version of the Euro-PCT Guide is also available (see the following section for how to order it).