EPO worldwide bibliographic database (DOCDB)
DOCDB is the EPO's master documentation database with worldwide coverage. It contains bibliographic data, abstracts, citations and the DOCDB simple patent family, but no full text or images.Download a sample file
DOCDB data is the backbone of many commercial products and services. It includes bibliographic data from over 90 countries worldwide. The data goes back as far as the 1830s for some patent authorities, and is available as backfile and frontfile.
With DOCDB you can:
- obtain the bibliographic data of patents from around the world, plus abstracts, citations and the simple DOCDB patent family
- download bi-weekly frontfiles and an annual backfile
- receive data in XML WIPO ST 36 format
- build your own searchable database
1. Check the sample data and information on the main features of bulk data sets.
2. Order the product from firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. You will receive your user name and password for the download area by e-mail.
4. Process the backfile first.
5. Download and process regular weekly exchange files (usually Tuesday and Thursday).
|Format||XML WIPO ST36|
|Volume||Frontfile: approx. 1 GB
Backfile: approx. 105 GB
|Delivery||Current year (frontfile data) can be downloaded weekly (usually Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Backfile data is available for download
Annual subscription (first-time customers):
The EPO's bulk data sets are also referred to as "raw data products" or "EPO databases".
- The terms and conditions for licensing of EPO databases apply.
DOCDB user documentation
The documentation provides the technical specifications (according to WIPO and ISO standards) for the XML exchange format in the (bibliographic) master database DOCDB. It also provides a technical description of the DOCDB data.
Other useful resources
You might also be interested in these products and services, which are similar or include the same data:
To find out which product best suits your needs, have a look at this table.