Who we are
About the EPO
The European Patent Office (EPO) is the second-largest European organisation, employing 7 000 staff from over 30 countries.
The EPO is the executive arm of the European Patent Organisation. It is headquartered in Munich, but also has a branch in The Hague, offices in Berlin and Vienna, and a liaison office in Brussels.
The EPO strives to support innovation and promote a knowledge-based society in Europe:
- Patent protection enables inventors and companies to be rewarded for their innovation.
- The EPO has built up the world's largest databases of technical information, which it makes available to the public free of charge.
- It also offers a complete range of training on patenting and IP issues
The EPO's mission is to secure the highest quality standards in patenting:
- The European Patent Convention (EPC) provides the legal backbone for its patenting practice.
- The EPO offers a uniform application procedure leading to patent protection in up to 40 European countries.
- Processes at the EPO are fair, transparent and closely monitored for quality at all times.
As an employer, the EPO provides a distinctly multinational work environment in an intellectually stimulating atmosphere:
- We focus on building long-term relationships with our employees.
- We empower our staff to take responsibility and make the right decisions.
Based on this foundation of mutual trust and respect, we at the EPO are ready to meet the future challenges in European intellectual property.